Motorcycles-Do’s and Don’ts

Motorcycles-Do’s and Don’ts  

Riding a Motorcycle is a great way to commute and enjoy our beautiful state. 

To Legally Ride in Washington State.  

You are required to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.  There are two endorsements to select from based on the features of the bike that you will be riding:  

  • 2-wheel motorcycle.
  • 3-wheel sidecar or trikes. 

Requirements for Motorcycles

  • If the engine is smaller than 50 cc and has a maximum speed of 30 mph you are not required to have an endorsement.  
  • If you have a 2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that has an engine larger than 50 cc or can exceed speeds of 30 mph you are required to have a 2-wheel motorcycle endorsement. 
  • You are required to have a 3-wheel endorsement if your 2-wheel motorcycle has a stabilizing conversion kit installed, if your motorcycle has a sidecar, or if your motorcycle is considered a 3-wheel trike.  

To Obtain an Endorsement.

You are required to successfully:

  • Complete a motorcycle safety course at a Washington State Department of Licensing approved motorcycle training school or,
  • Pass the knowledge and riding skills test at an approved motorcycle training school.  

It is illegal to ride a motorcycle without the proper endorsements or permits.

For additional information please check with Washington State Department of Licensing

Approved Motorcycle Helmets

Helmets are required to ride a motorcycle or motorcycle trike. They must be certified by the manufacturer as meeting the United States Department of Transportation standards outlined in 49 CFR 571.218.  

A helmet that meets the standards required by the Department of Transportation will have:

  • A sticker on the back 
  • Information on the inside of the helmet that includes manufacturer name, helmet model, and size.  

A traffic ticket may be issued If you ride a motorcycle or trike without an approved helmet.

There are many ways an experienced traffic attorney can fight your ticket for you.

Call us now

To ask additional questions or to hire an experienced attorney who has deep connections with the local legal system.

(425) 259 4972

Click Here to read more of our On The Road series

Want To Hear More From us.

You can connect with us on social media at any of the networks below.

Sign up for the Monthly Newsletter.